about the company
benerail is the Leading Railway Retail Expert in Europe
Have you ever tried to book an international rail journey? Nightmare, right? That’s what we are trying to solve. Our organisation enables companies to sell international railway tickets across Europe. Regardless of which railway is needed to provide the tickets. We reduce complexity for our customers, so they can focus on optimising the service to the travellers and make the choice for international railway travel easy.
benerail is your smart ticket to a greener world
Benerail is a spin-off from The Belgian and Dutch national railway, well established yet very ambitious. To help the railway industry become the most attractive environmentally friendly and competitive means of transport, our strategy now focuses on expansion. Driven by our mission to facilitate a significant contribution to a better climate, we are building a scalable and sustainable organisation built on autonomous and purpose-driven teams.
Our main office is located in Antwerp, with flex in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht and Brussels. Although we love coming together in person, because of the international nature of benerail and its people, we have been a remote-first company from the start.
about the team:
As a Java Developer at benerail, you’ll have the opportunity to become an integral member of one of our five dynamic development teams. Depending on the team you’re assigned to, you may find yourself engaged in crafting the external API for our distributors or shaping the external API for travel agents. Alternatively, you could be deeply involved in implementing the European OSDM standard for selling railway tickets.
The final two teams primarily concentrate on creating and upholding benerail’s internal services. This diverse array of Java teams presents an array of challenges, each distinct in its own right.
Each of these teams is expertly crafted, comprising essential roles such as a product owner, scrum master, developer, tester and analyst. The team sizes typically range from 6 to 10 individuals, fostering an environment conducive to collaboration and innovation.
At benerail we embrace a holistic approach to our employee structure. You will be part of the Development Chapter, a key component of our overarching organization alongside our Product Chapter and the QA Chapter. Together, we continuously strive to elevate and refine benerail as a thriving entity.
about the job:
As a developer, you are involved to varying degrees into all aspect of the development process, from refinement of user stories to testing. You attend and participate actively to all usual Scrum ceremonies and remain focused on the goals of the team and the organization. While your main tasks will consist in implementing & maintaining functionalities in the code, you are involved in design & architecture discussions, and can handle some tasks outside your core skills. You are comfortable with the iterative process for delivery that go with a Scrum/agile approach.
We are looking for a fulltime employee on the benerail payroll.
- Have a passion for Java
- Have knowledge of Spring, Spring Boot and hibernate
- Have knowledge of Generics and Lambdas
- Have knowledge of Unit Testing
- Have worked in Scrum/Agile teams and is enthusiastic on the methodology.
- Master English as the working language
- Have knowledge of and are interested in working with: REST APIs (JSon, Swagger/OpenAPI, …), Kubernetes, Docker, CI/CD, SQL-databases
- can speak French and/or Dutch (not a must, but a nice to have)
- Take pride in creating consistent high quality code, based on best practices
- Are flexible to travel to Antwerp on a regular basis (~1 day a week)
what we offer
- The unique chance to put a very strong product in the market together with a group of enthusiastic specialists, in order contribute to a modal shift into sustainable mobility.
- A job with the freedom and responsibility to shape development activities towards what is best in your vision.
- Flexibility, including the opportunity to work from home for up to 4 days a week.
- A modern office at walking distance of the railway station Antwerpen Centraal.
- Fun teambuilding activities
- Competitive salary ( Train card , Mobile phone + subscription, 32 holidays, Hospital & Group insurance, Meal vouchers, etc.)
- If you share our core business values; daring, connected & trusted, chances are we will have a match!
Do you dare to take on this challenge?
To contact us about this job, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com